Saturday, September 2, 2006

Charity Knitting/Crochet and Connections

HAPPY LABOR DAY WEEKEND,

Since starting this blog, last February, I have become aware that it is difficult to post every day and keep the content strictly knitting and crochet related. Granted not a day goes by without me picking up a knitting or  crochet project, but lets face it, each and every one is not an exciting, reportable event. 

Quite some time ago, I created the little crochet sculpture in the photo, for a museum exhibit in Haifa, Israel.  About 14 US fiber artists were invited to submit pieces for the exhibit.  When I heard that the subject was to be figures, any interpretation, I almost declined.  This was clearly not my cup of tea.  Because of a series of events, I came up with the idea of women of the world being connected in a very special way through the needle arts.  I felt at the time, and still do, that my entry was very child-like, but I sent it in anyway.  It was in the exhibit, and it was a wonderful experience for me to participate. 

Right now though, exciting events are happening all over the country, bringing people together in a common goal.  Knit and crochet groups are pulling together and creating huge amounts of sweaters, hats, scarves and afghans to literally warm up the world.  Suddenly, my little sculpture, which I titled Connections, has even more meaning for me.  

The New York City Crochet Group has pledged 1000 hats for Caps for the Capital, The Happily Hooked on Crochet chapter in Ct, are constantly working on charity projects for several worthy organizations.  They have given hundreds of items to Danbury Hospital, The Salvation Army and other worthy organizations.  You can read more about them at www.crochetingwithDee .Groups like this are just about in every state in our wonderful country.

Last night I received a phone call from a fairly new knitter, Suellen, who belongs to a knitting group in northern CA.  They were all busily working on sweaters for charity, and were using one of the free patterns on my site.  They were having trouble with part of the instructions, and because of Suellen's phone call, the error was brought to my attention.  This little sweater has been made lots of times, and no one ever told me about this before now.  It was coincidental, because I just talked about this sweater a few days ago (scroll down if you want to see), so I shall correct it as soon as possible.

Once again, I was pleasantly surprised by the connections that the Internet allows us to make.  Suellen and I were chatting as if we were old friends, brought together by the love of our craft.    She promised to send me a picture of her finished sweater, and will try to send some of her group along with their projects, so I can share them with you. 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Margaret

No comments: