Tuesday, September 19, 2006

New York City Knit Out/Crochet Too

Happy Tuesday Everyone,

Sunday in New York City at Union Square Park, was all blue skies, sun, and thousands of people taking part in another wonderful knit/crochet event.  I finally found a little time to get the pictures into my computer (no easy job for me).

The day was filled with activities.  In addition to the fashion shows, there were tables of Kid's Crafts, Retail exhibits, demos and displays, yarn "Doctors", charity projects, contests, and technique workshops.  I did a mini workshop on Free Form Crochet.  It was well attended and all were enthusiastic, but the sun was hot.  We were not under one of the tents, and just modeling my garments became a challenge.

The fashion show included a Doggie Idol segment, a children's segment and adult fashions.  There were a few brave men who participated, but mostly gorgeous models, showing off the fashions in a very elegant way.  Two of my little black dresses were shown, but unfortunately my pictures did not turn out.  Maybe someone out there has a picture to share with me.  I did not even know that they were being featured, and when Rita Weiss found me, told me to get my camera ready, I was so surprised.  I was so happy to see the dresses up on the stage.  My camera is not that great, and I was so far away and to the side, that the black dresses became a little dot in the photo.  They did look spectacular on the models though. 

Danielle, who is a student of Marie Stewart's, Yarn and Craft Box, Pawling, NY, won third place in the scarf contest.  Danielle was thrilled, and we were thrilled for her.  Later, I found out that Ruth Y, from The Happily Hooked on Crochet group in Danbury CT, won an honorable mention in the contest.  Two people that I know won honors, how cool is that.  By the time I found out about Ruth, my camera was out of space for more pictures, but I am sure that you can see lots more at www.crochetingwithdee.com .  Chris, another knitter from The Yarn and Craft Box, participated in the "Fastest Knitter" contest.  Chris makes the most intricate Fair Isle designs, his work is fabulous.

I met so many people that I knew, some that I knew only from the Internet, and made many new "friends".  

There is no selling at this event, so yarnaholics just get to see all the new yarns, books and gadgets being offered for the avid needleworker.  The  companies that were present, had lots of give-aways, so attendees left with bags full of magazines, free patterns, accessories etc, and in some cases, sample balls of yarn and knitting needles.  Some area yarn shops had booths, I saw Andrea from Seaport Yarns www.seaportyarn.com there showing some really nice new yarns in great colors. 

I am sure that I am forgetting something, but thats it for now.

Have a great day

Margaret

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret!  Thank you so much for posting pics of the Knit-out doggie fashion show! I've been waiting anxiously to see some pictures!! I didn't attend, but sent some dog sweaters & poncho entries. I was told my SpongeBob sweater won!! I'm so thrilled!! I noticed you posted a picture of the SpongeBob and the Patriotic sweaters I entered. Thanks again!  Shelle Hendrix Cain www.crochetcabin.bravehost.com