Sunday, November 18, 2007

PLUS SIZE CROCHET

Good Morning Everyone,

It has been a really busy time for me, so posts to my blog have been few and far between.  I had a deadline to get some projects ready for my new book, and at the same time, I received the manuscript from the one recently finished for proofreading.  Late Saturday afternoon, I finished it all.

In between all the book activity, I did 4 workshops in NH and NY.

I received an e-mail from a reader about PLUS SIZE CROCHET.  She was disappointed that I used such heavy yarn for projects for large sizes.  This gave me a moments pause, so I had to get out the book and check.   I did try to choose yarns that would not be too heavy.  On the other hand, I did not want to do a whole thread book, because lots of people do not like to work in such fine yarns.  I tried to strike a happy medium, including some very fine, medium and a little heavier weights of yarn.  When I actually counted up the yarns that I used, there are far more light weight and medium weight than heavy weight.  I also tried for a wide price range in the yarns used. 

The yarns that I used are;

Paton's Grace, a light weight cotton
Tahki Select Metallic - light weight
Plymouth baby Alpaca - light weight Alpaca
Silk Purse by Alchemy - light weight Silk
Extra Fine Mondial light weight wool
Senso DMC - Light weight cotton
Lily Chin light weight wool
Astra by Patons - lightweight


Blue Heron Ribbon -  medium weight
Blue Heron Beaded Rayon - medium weight
Cancun by Tahki/Stacy charles - med weight
Plymouth Medium weight bamboo
Cotton Classic by Tahki - med weight
Wagtail med weight mohair

There are 3  coats or jackets, made in heavier weight yarns -

Plymouth Mohair
Lion Brand 5 yarn jacket
Aussie Yarn Jacket

I have to add that this was the only negative (so far) letter that I have received.  Most have been really positive :-).



Have a great day everyone.

Margaret

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a _great_ book - I didn' t see the "heavy " yarns used that much and as you pointed out, they weren't. Perhaps the garment they wanted was in a heavier yarn than what they would have liked and she (I presume it's a she since it's womens garments) is having a hard time trying to figure out how to do it in a lighter yarn and still maek the garment as big as she wants it.
You can't please everybody, so you got to please yourself.

Robin