Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Interesting gifts,4th of July, conference looming

Happy Fourth of July Everyone. 


Its been a while since I posted, mostly because I did not have anything new and interesting to report .  I am also still having trouble getting the format right using my new Mac, so please bear with me.

I am also getting ready to attend the CGOA/TKGA conference in NH next week.  I'll be sure to take my camera and have lots of pictures and stories to tell when I return.


It has occurred to me, that over the years I have received some very interesting gifts from  family and friends.  Knowing my passion for the needle arts they sometimes choose gifts with that in mind.  I thought that I would share a few  of my favorites with you. 

The first picture is a silk scarf that a friend brought back from Italy about 20 years ago.  I loved it so much that I had it framed and it still hangs in my living room.  I do not see a visible signature on the scarf and I cannot take it out of its frame to check.  If you look closely, you will see that the initial M is knitted into each corner piece.  It was such a perfect gift for me.

The second is a small print of Cupid winding a ball of yarn held by his mother.  As Cupid winds, the ball of yarn is turning into a heart.  On the back it says Cupid's Plan by Harrison Fisher 1908.  I did a google search on Harrison Fisher and he is a very well know artist, and his art was extremely popular in that era.

The third photo is a Hummel figurine called The Knitting Lesson.  It was a gift from my husband over 35 years ago, as far as I can remember about 1970. At the time it cost about $50. It is not being made any longer, so  I just did an Internet search to see if I could find one for sale.  I found it for sale in a price range from $300 up to $800.  Isn't that amazing?

Every time that I look at these things, I know that the people who chose them for me did it with love and it makes me feel so wonderful.

Have a great day, and a safe and happy Fourth.

Margaret





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pretty cool stuff. Have fun in NH. I wish I was going, too...oh well