Saturday, April 21, 2007

Connections

Happy Saturday Everyone,

It feels as if Spring is finally arriving and everything is "greening up", its wonderful to see the sun.

I have said it so many times, but its true, the Internet amazes me every day.  I received an e-mail yesterday, the subject line said - I can't believe I found you-I almost deleted it, thinking it was spam.  I don't know what prompted me to read it, but was so happy that I did.  It was from a young woman, who I worked with over 25 years ago.  She was a college girl, working part time, I was a mother of four teen agers.  We had a connection at work, but as life happens, went our separate ways and lost track of each other.

Re-connecting was such fun and we found out that we do not live too far from one another.  V reminded me that I had taught her to crochet a shawl all those years ago, and told me that she is now an avid knitter and crocheter and also a mother of two teenagers.   She had heard about Freeform crochet and was searching the Internet for information and found me. 

It is very coincidental that this happened on the very day that the International Free Form group launched their new 2007 show, which contains the work of freeform artists from all over the world    http://www.intff.org/ , see the entry just before this to learn more about the 2007 on line show.

People who work in the needlearts seem to form these connections and it has always been a favorite theme of mine.  I see it over and over again at conferences, workshops, or wherever people get together to share a common love.  The Internet, of course, has played a huge part in this sharing of ideas, and I love it.

Several years ago, an Israeli fiber artist, invited several of us in the USA to submit pieces for a fiber exhibit she was putting together for a museum in Haifa.  The theme was figures, in any way that you felt like interpreting it.  This was clearly not my thing, as I usually do fashion, but thought that I would at least try.  I came up with the above "sculpture".  I thought that it was a little child like, but sent it off to M in Israel.  I titled it "CONNECTIONS" .  That child like piece has received some recognition of its own and has been shown in several venues since its trip to Israel. 

V and I plan to meet in the near future and look forward to sharing all of our adventures in the needle arts.

Have a great weekend

Margaret


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

everything is so great looking! I love it all...