Friday, May 9, 2008

Restoring Heirloom Crochet Pieces

Good Morning Everyone,

Quite a few years ago I discovered that I had the ability to look at a piece of crochet work and immediately know what stitches were used to create it.  About 10 years ago, my local yarn shop asked me if I was interested in restoring heirloom pieces that were brought into the shop in great need of repair.  I agreed to give it a try, and since then have restored many pieces. Lately, I have been so busy that I wanted to give up this phase of "things that I do", but the thought of these lovely pieces disappearing forever, keeps me doing it.  My other problem is time (not enough of it).  As long as the person wanting the work done, is willing to wait, sometimes months, I will take on the job.

My biggest challenge to date, was a huge bedspread, that had over 20 very large holes and several smaller ones, scattered throughout.  I am sorry that I did not think to record my progress as I worked on it, but you can see the finished product below.


It is very large and very heavy, fits amply on a
king size bed.



I found it difficult to photograph the white, but
I think that you can see how beautiful it is.



Close-up of pattern.


The photograph below is of a bedspread that I
rescued from a flea market.  It was tossed over
the back door of a van.  The young man who was
selling it, had no idea of what he had.  It was dirty
and torn, and he could not believe that any one was
even interested in buying it from him.  I took it
home and worked on it for a long time.  After all
the repairs, I worked on getting out the stains.
It was worth all the work. It is magnificent!



My flea market find, all repaired and clean and
gracing the bed in my guest room.



By restoring these pieces I feel that,
somehow, I am honoring the women,
who so long ago put so many  hours of
love into each tiny stitch.

Have a great day!

Margaret

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're beautiful Margaret!
~Dee

Anonymous said...

what wonderful work!
Robin

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful. I want to be you when I grow up :)
Laini

HeatherFlower said...

I love it! I feel the same honor you do. Thank you for sharing!

Heather