Friday, August 22, 2008

CROCHET - THE NEXT GENERATION

Good Afternoon Everyone,

As most of you know, I teach a Monday morning crochet class and have been doing so for about 10 years now.  My local yarn shop - The Yarn and Craft Box, in Pawling, NY, has always been very supportive of crocheters.

It is always so rewarding to see a new crocheter learn to handle a hook, but when the student is a young child, the rewards are really great.

Three weeks ago I met Jaime.  Jaime had never held a hook before, but she really wanted to learn how to crochet, so we arranged for some "one on one" lessons.  The first fifteen minutes or so, she thought that it would be really difficult for her, but I encouraged her to give herself a little more time.  Before the end of the lesson, she was handling the hook like a pro and doing single crochet very quickly.  Unfortunately, I had to cancel her next lesson, and when I saw her last week, she was halfway through a scarf.  I taught her 2 more stitches, and told her that we could add the new stitches to each end of her scarf.  Today she came in with a finished scarf, we added a fringe and
it was beautiful.



Jaime modeling her not quite finished scarf.  Last week
Jaime told me that she felt as if her brain really did
not know what she was doing, but her fingers were
just doing it.  Truly amazing to watch.




Fringe is done and it looks beautiful  The scarf is
a birthday gift for Jaime's little sister, Emily.  Emily
came in with Mom, to pick Jaime up after her lesson,
and left on this hot summer day, with the scarf
wrapped around her neck.  What fun!  Great job
Jaime, thanks for allowing me to share your work.

The Crochet Guild of America promotes teaching and
encourages "Each One Teach Two".

Crocheting is something Jaime will have with her the
rest of her life and I am sure that she will pass it on,
sometime in the future (maybe even to her Mom).

Enjoy the rest of the day,

Margaret

No comments: